This trekking route passed many gigantic mountain ranges - Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Kanjiroba, to name but a few - and passed through Lower Dolpo, at one time a small kingdom in its own right. More recently, we have repeated the route, with variations and our groups see very few other Europeans so they are enthusiastic greatly about the wild remoteness, the stunning mountain scenery and the fact that the local people had that innocent friendliness peculiar to people who live in excessively remote mountainous regions.
Peter Matthiessen's The snow leopard and David Snellgrove 's Himalayan Pilgrimage have contributed to the mystique and attraction of Dolpo. Both writers visited the Shey Gompa, to the north of the Phoksumdo Lake, inner Dolpo. This is the goal of most trekkers but this Dolpo trek will take you even further into this mysterious land.
Facts of Dolpo Trekking
Trekking Destination: Dolpo Trekking
Group Size: Min - 2
Minimum altitude: 2300m
Maximum altitude: 5190m
Grade Info: Strenuous
Season: September to late December and February to late June.
Transportation: Bus, Car, Land Cruiser or Jeep
Total Days: 21 Days (Kathmandu - Kathmandu)
Walking Hour: Approximately 5 - 6 hours each day.
Dolpo Trekking Day to Day Itinerary
Days 01: Kathmandu to Nepalgung by bus
Days 02: Nepalganj to Juphal by flight trek to Dunai
Days 03: Dunai to Makaibari
Days 04: Makaibari to Sallaghari
Days 05: Sallaghari to Phoksundo Lake
Days 06: Phoksundo Lake to Phoksundo Lake (northern part)
Days 07: Phoksundo Lake to Phedi
Days 08: Phedi to Base Camp
Days 09: Base Camp to She Gumpa via Kangla
Days 10: Rest Day
Days 11: See Gumpa to Saltang
Days 12: Saltang to Sorg
Days 13: Sorgang to Yak Kharka
Days 14: Yak Kharka to Takkyu
Days 15: Takkyu to Dho
Days 16: Dho to Jor Khola
Days 17: Jor Khola to Cave
Days 18: Cave to Khani goun
Days 19: Khani Goun to Tara goun
Days 20: Tara Goun to Juphal
Days 21: Juphal to Nepal jung
Days 22: Drive to Kathmandu
Dolpo Trekking Cost Include
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private car / van / bus.
- Standard accommodation in Kathmandu.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by car / van / bus.
- Standard hotel accommodation in Nepaljung.
- Full board meal during camping, prepared by our cook with Tea & coffee.
- Sharing tented accommodation and equipment during the camping trek including all the basic things.
- A local government licensed English speaking Guide, a cook the required number of porters, their food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment.
- Boiled and purify drinking water for the trek.
- Special Trekking Permit US$ 70 per person per day and all local conservation fees.
- Flight fare from Kathmandu – Nepaljung – Juphal – Nepaljung - Kathmandu including airport departure taxes.
- Surface Transfer to and from Kathmandu.
- Down Jacket, sleeping bag and duffel bag.
- First aid medical kid.
- All our government taxes.
Dolpo Trekking Cost Exclude
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu
- Your travel insurance
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa fee at Airport with require 2 passport size photos.
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry.
- Personal trekking Equipments.
- Tips for trekking staff and driver-tipping are extended.
- Sightseeing/Monuments entrance fees in Kathmandu.
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.